Daily Washington Insider
  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing

Daily Washington Insider

  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing
World

Iran doesn’t believe a nuclear deal is likely, sources say, as talks with US set to resume

by admin May 23, 2025
May 23, 2025
Iran doesn’t believe a nuclear deal is likely, sources say, as talks with US set to resume

Iran and the United States are set to begin a fifth round of high-stakes nuclear talks in Rome on Friday amid growing skepticism in Tehran about the chances of a deal as Washington hardens its position.

The sources said Iran’s participation in the Rome talks is solely to gauge Washington’s latest stance rather than pursue a potential breakthrough.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi reiterated Tehran’s red lines before he departed for Rome on Friday.

“Figuring out the path to a deal is not rocket science,” he posted on X before his flight. “Zero nuclear weapons = we DO have a deal. Zero enrichment = we do NOT have a deal.”

The Trump administration has demanded Iran stop all uranium enrichment activity, which lead US negotiator Steve Witkoff says “enables weaponization.” Uranium, a key nuclear fuel, can be used to build a bomb if enriched to high levels. Iran maintains that its nuclear program is peaceful and says it is willing to commit not to enrich uranium to weapons-grade as part of an agreement.

Speaking Thursday, Araghchi said Iran was open to enhanced monitoring by international inspectors but would not relinquish its right to pursue nuclear energy, including uranium enrichment. Washington is offering to wind back crippling economic sanctions on Iran in exchange for de-nuclearization.

The US had previously sent mixed signals about whether Iran would be allowed to enrich uranium, but in recent weeks it has hardened its stance, insisting that no enrichment will be permitted.

That shift has prompted officials in Tehran to question Washington’s commitment to a deal, as Iran has repeatedly said enrichment is a red line in negotiations.

“The media statements and negotiating behavior of the United States has widely disappointed policy-making circles in Tehran,” the sources said in a joint message. “From the perspective of decision-makers in Tehran, when the US knows that accepting zero enrichment in Iran is impossible and yet insists on it, it is a sign that the US is fundamentally not seeking an agreement and is using the negotiations as a tool to intensify pressure.”

Initially, the sources noted, some Iranian officials believed Washington might seek a “win-win” compromise. However, a consensus has now emerged that the Trump administration is steering discussions toward a deadlock.

The sources said that although neither the US nor Iran wants to leave the negotiating table, the position of the US is making the talks unproductive and formal meetings are unlikely to continue much longer.

They said that Tehran no longer takes seriously US efforts to distance itself from Israel’s hardline stance on Iran, and it sees proposals made by the American side as following the agenda of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has insisted that no enrichment be allowed in Iran.

On Friday, Iranian delegates in Rome aim to probe whether the US has revised its approach. The sources suggested that Tehran will likely take a tougher stance unless the US offers tangible concessions.

US imposes more sanctions ahead of talks

Washington has kept up the pressure on Iran with fresh sanctions and threats of war even as diplomatic talks continue.

On Wednesday, the US State Department announced new measures, identifying Iran’s construction sector as being “controlled directly or indirectly” by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and 10 strategic materials that it said Iran is using in connection with its nuclear, military or ballistic missile programs.

“With these determinations, the United States has broader sanctions authorities to prevent Iran from acquiring strategic materials for its construction sector under IRGC control and its proliferation programs,” State Department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson criticized US Secretary of State Marco Rubio for the move, calling it “as outrageous as it is unlawful and inhuman.”

“The US’s consecutive rounds of sanctions only reinforce our people’s deeply held belief that the American decision makers are set to make every malign effort to hinder Iran’s development & progress. These sanctions, announced on the eve of the fifth round of Iran-US indirect talks, further put to question the American willingness & seriousness for diplomacy,” Baqaei wrote on X.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
On the streets of Tehran, guarded hope and rising doubt as nuclear talks inch forward
next post
China says Trump Harvard ban will ‘tarnish’ US image as students caught in crosshairs

You may also like

Genocide is declared once more in Sudan. How...

January 10, 2025

Ukraine claims it hit missile system inside Russian...

June 4, 2024

Hungarian police ban Budapest Pride march

June 19, 2025

Hamas responds to US plan for Gaza ceasefire,...

June 1, 2025

King Charles reflects on ‘darkest moments’ of cancer...

May 1, 2025

Israeli forces detain prominent Palestinian journalist in early...

April 29, 2025

Taiwan test-fires new US-supplied HIMARS rocket system

May 13, 2025

High doses of meth found in candy handed...

August 14, 2024

Lebanon’s wave of pager explosions is a message...

September 18, 2024

Sweden just experienced the worst mass shooting in...

February 5, 2025

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Popular

    • 1

      Hong Kong plans to install thousands of surveillance cameras. Critics say it’s...

    • 2

      UN experts urge Thailand not to deport dozens of Uyghurs to China where they face ‘real risk of torture’

    • 3

      Trump has assembled a team of China hawks. How will Beijing respond?

    • 4

      China executes man who plowed car into crowds in deadliest attack in a decade

    • 5

      How Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger got caught in Trump’s trade war with China

    Categories

    • Business (1,367)
    • Investing (4,086)
    • Science (605)
    • World (3,677)
    Footer Logo

    Disclaimer: dailywashingtoninsider.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2024 dailywashingtoninsider.com | All Rights Reserved