Daily Washington Insider
  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing

Daily Washington Insider

  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing
Business

Judge tosses defamation suit against Fox News by head of dismantled disinformation board

by admin July 24, 2024
July 24, 2024
Judge tosses defamation suit against Fox News by head of dismantled disinformation board

A defamation suit against Fox News by a government official who served on a short-lived U.S. government media disinformation board was dismissed Monday by a federal judge.

The lawsuit from Nina Jankowicz alleged that Fox News had defamed her on numerous occasions, leading to waves of online attacks and threats of violence after the formation of the Disinformation Governance Board, where she served as a director.

In May of 2022, just weeks after its launch, the Department of Homeland Security paused the board’s work and accepted Jankowicz’s resignation. The board was officially dissolved and its charter rescinded in August of that same year.

In rejecting Jankowicz’s claims, the judge said that 36 of the 37 statements made on Fox News programs were about the disinformation board and not Jankowicz. The judge ruled that the remaining statement — which was also a reference to the board and not Jankowicz, despite showing an image of her as it was said — was not disinformation because it was a factual statement that matched the wording in the board’s own charter describing its purpose.

“This was a politically motivated lawsuit aimed at silencing free speech and we are pleased with the court’s decision to protect the First Amendment,” Fox News said.

The disinformation board was launched by the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to counter disinformation coming from Russia as well as misleading information that human smugglers circulate to target migrants hoping to travel to the U.S.-Mexico border.

Dozens of Republican lawmakers and conservative pundits took to social media immediately after the board’s launch, calling for it to be disbanded. They described the board as an Orwellian body that could be used to suppress free speech.

In April of last year, Fox News agreed to pay Dominion Voting Systems nearly $800 million to avert a trial in the voting machine company’s lawsuit that would have exposed how the network promoted lies about the 2020 presidential election.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
S&P 500 climbs for best day since early June as Nvidia shares lead tech turnaround
next post
Charbone Hydrogen Secures Key Transport Infrastructure for Green Hydrogen Delivery from Flagship Quebec Production Facility

You may also like

‘NEETS’ and ‘new unemployables’: Why some young adults...

July 3, 2024

Hurricane Milton could reduce Disney earnings, Goldman says

October 9, 2024

Stock market has worst day since 2022 as...

July 26, 2024

Pixar is laying off 14% of its workforce...

May 22, 2024

Nvidia says Anthropic is telling ‘tall tale’ in...

May 2, 2025

Comcast to bundle Peacock, Netflix and Apple TV+...

May 15, 2024

Boeing to cut 17,000 jobs as losses deepen...

October 15, 2024

GM slows its EV plans again even as...

July 24, 2024

Walmart issues recall of apple juice sold in...

August 29, 2024

Household savings are thinning. Here’s how to put...

July 23, 2024

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Popular

    • 1

      Hong Kong plans to install thousands of surveillance cameras. Critics say it’s...

    • 2

      UN experts urge Thailand not to deport dozens of Uyghurs to China where they face ‘real risk of torture’

    • 3

      China executes man who plowed car into crowds in deadliest attack in a decade

    • 4

      Trump has assembled a team of China hawks. How will Beijing respond?

    • 5

      Tartana Drilling to Verify Upgrading of 45,000 Tonne Copper Resource

    Categories

    • Business (1,300)
    • Investing (3,411)
    • Science (605)
    • World (3,677)
    Footer Logo

    Disclaimer: dailywashingtoninsider.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2024 dailywashingtoninsider.com | All Rights Reserved