Daily Washington Insider
  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing

Daily Washington Insider

  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing
World

Wounded and sick children leave besieged Gaza Strip, in first medical evacuation for weeks

by admin June 30, 2024
June 30, 2024
Wounded and sick children leave besieged Gaza Strip, in first medical evacuation for weeks

Dozens of sick and injured children, including 20 cancer patients, have been evacuated from Gaza through the Kerem Shalom crossing, the first to leave since Israel launched its offensive in Rafah last month.

The 68 were transferred to Cairo, Egypt, on Thursday, Israeli authorities say. COGAT, the Israeli agency responsible for approving aid into Gaza, coordinated the passage along with the Israeli military, the US, Egypt and the World Health Organization (WHO).

The news provided a moment of relief for the parents, whose children who had been unable to access lifesaving care after more than eight months of Israeli bombardment in Gaza.

“She is suffering and moving between hospitals receiving blood treatments… Every day she feels more pain than the day before,” said her mother Umm Ubaida. “She is extremely tired. She can’t wait any longer.”

The evacuations come with the southern Rafah crossing, a key transit point, still closed despite negotiations on its re-opening.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus welcomed the evacuation on Friday. He appealed for increased medical passage “via all possible routes including Rafah and Karem Shalom, to Egypt, the West Bank, East Jerusalem, and from there to other countries when needed.”

But as Israel’s siege persists – and the risk of famine grows – Palestinian officials have warned that the operation was “a drop in the ocean” compared to hundreds more severely ill children who are still trapped in the ravaged enclave.

More than 25,000 sick people require urgent treatment abroad, according to the Ministry of Health in Gaza. Among those are 980 children with cancer – including 250 patients who could face “certain death” – the ministry reported on Friday. Israel’s military campaign has depleted the medical system and drained food supplies.

Israel insists there is “no limit” on the amount of aid that can enter Gaza, but human rights agencies warn that its rigid inspection regime on trucks, sustained restrictions on land crossings and relentless bombing campaign means relief is barely dripping in.

Israel launched its military offensive in Gaza after the Hamas-led October 7 attacks on southern Israel, in which at least 1,200 people were killed and more than 250 others were abducted.

Israeli attacks in Gaza have since killed 37,718 Palestinians and injured another 86,377 people, according to Gaza health officials.

‘I was not allowed to leave with them’

Even before the war, chronically ill patients in Gaza faced numerous hurdles when trying to access medical treatment abroad – having lived through years of partial blockade imposed by Israel and Egypt.

“I submitted a request to Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital to travel with them. They said you cannot travel because you are less than 60 years old.”

This post appeared first on cnn.com

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Coniagas Battery Metals Announces Private Placement
next post
A third of shark species face extinction. Here’s what one man is doing to help

You may also like

Three former bosses of UK nurse Lucy Letby,...

July 2, 2025

Polish man found guilty of assaulting Danish prime...

August 7, 2024

As the world focuses on Gaza, the West Bank has reached boiling...

August 30, 2024

What is UNIFIL, the peacekeeping force on the...

October 14, 2024

India and Pakistan are on the brink of...

May 7, 2025

The Dominican Republic votes on Sunday. Here’s what...

May 19, 2024

Bad news mounts for Ukraine across the frontlines....

November 16, 2024

Nepal court sentences ‘Buddha Boy’ to 10 years...

July 2, 2024

Ukraine is being hit with a surge of...

November 23, 2024

After decades of brutal rule, Bashar al-Assad’s regime...

December 9, 2024

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Popular

    • 1

      Hong Kong plans to install thousands of surveillance cameras. Critics say it’s...

    • 2

      UN experts urge Thailand not to deport dozens of Uyghurs to China where they face ‘real risk of torture’

    • 3

      China executes man who plowed car into crowds in deadliest attack in a decade

    • 4

      Trump has assembled a team of China hawks. How will Beijing respond?

    • 5

      Tartana Drilling to Verify Upgrading of 45,000 Tonne Copper Resource

    Categories

    • Business (1,300)
    • Investing (3,411)
    • Science (605)
    • World (3,677)
    Footer Logo

    Disclaimer: dailywashingtoninsider.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2024 dailywashingtoninsider.com | All Rights Reserved