Daily Washington Insider
  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing

Daily Washington Insider

  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing
World

North Sudan’s remaining hospital risks closure as deadly civil war intensifies

by admin August 14, 2024
August 14, 2024
North Sudan’s remaining hospital risks closure as deadly civil war intensifies

The last operating public hospital in Sudan’s North Darfur state is at risk of closure, Doctors Without Borders (MSF) warned Wednesday, amid fierce fighting between the country’s rival military factions that have left more than 18,000 people dead and 33,000 injured.

Civil war between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) broke out in April last year and has intensified in El Fasher, the North Darfur capital, since May when the paramilitary RSF group encircled the city.

The MSF-supported Saudi Hospital in El Fasher has suffered extensive damage following the continued bombardment of the city over the last week, leaving it barely functional, MSF said. At least 15 people were killed in those attacks and more than 130 others were wounded, it added.

The facility is the last remaining public hospital in the city with the capacity to treat the wounded and perform surgery, according to MSF.

On Sunday, another attack on the hospital hit the surgical ward, killing a patient carer and injuring five others.

“Sunday’s attack on Saudi Hospital – which is the largest hospital in North Darfur state – makes it crystal clear that the warring parties are making no efforts to protect health facilities or the civilians inside them. Patients fear for their lives as a result of the relentless attacks,” Michel Olivier Lacharité, head of MSF’s emergency operations, said in a statement Wednesday.

As people flee to the Zamzam camp for displaced people near El Fasher in western Sudan, which was hit by shelling one week ago, MSF’s field hospital is under “exceptional pressure” with casualties continuing to arrive, the aid agency said.

Crisis facing children

The latest dire reports from El Fasher come as UNICEF, the UN’s children’s agency, said Sudan’s humanitarian crisis was “the biggest in the world” for children, by numbers.

“Tens of thousands” of Sudanese children are at risk of death if action is not urgently taken, UNICEF spokesperson James Elder warned at a press briefing on Tuesday.

“Thousands of children have been killed or injured in Sudan’s war. Sexual violence and recruitment are increasing. And the situation is even worse where an ongoing humanitarian presence remains denied,” Elder said.

Five million children have been forced to flee their homes, making Sudan the world’s largest child displacement crisis, Elder stressed, adding that children are dying as famine starts to take hold in the Zamzam camp.

“This month’s determination of famine in one part of Sudan risks spreading and leading to a catastrophic loss of children’s lives,” the spokesman said.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
Mpox outbreak declared public health emergency in Africa
next post
Ukrainian man wanted over Nord Stream pipelines explosions

You may also like

Grandparents arrested for murder of French toddler who...

March 25, 2025

Highway overpass collapses, killing at least four construction...

February 25, 2025

Ukraine ‘will lose the war’ if US fails...

April 9, 2024

Russia expels British diplomat for alleged espionage

November 26, 2024

Before and after: Satellite images show the destruction...

March 30, 2025

Ukraine’s march into Russia exposes Putin’s crisis management...

August 23, 2024

UAE eyes ‘different architecture’ for a Middle East...

September 25, 2024

In a first, Taiwan charges Chinese ship captain...

April 11, 2025

Owner of Dominican nightclub says plaster tiles often...

April 25, 2025

Residents stage rare protest over power cuts in...

July 21, 2024

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Popular

    • 1

      Hong Kong plans to install thousands of surveillance cameras. Critics say it’s...

    • 2

      UN experts urge Thailand not to deport dozens of Uyghurs to China where they face ‘real risk of torture’

    • 3

      Trump has assembled a team of China hawks. How will Beijing respond?

    • 4

      China executes man who plowed car into crowds in deadliest attack in a decade

    • 5

      How Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger got caught in Trump’s trade war with China

    Categories

    • Business (1,386)
    • Investing (4,631)
    • Science (605)
    • World (3,677)
    Footer Logo

    Disclaimer: dailywashingtoninsider.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2024 dailywashingtoninsider.com | All Rights Reserved