Daily Washington Insider
  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing

Daily Washington Insider

  • Business
  • World
  • Science
  • Investing
World

Ukraine replaces commander following Russian advances on key city of Pokrovsk

by admin December 15, 2024
December 15, 2024
Ukraine replaces commander following Russian advances on key city of Pokrovsk

The commander of Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk group of forces has been replaced following Russian advances in the region, a military official said Saturday.

The move comes after Lutsenko faced heavy criticism for failing to stop recent Russian advances on the key city of Pokrovsk.

Russian forces have been spotted just three kilometers (1.9 miles) from the city, according to Ukrainian mapping service DeepState.

Pokrovsk has been the site of some of the fiercest battles on the eastern front for months, as Russia attempts to close in on the city.

Lying around 11 miles from Ukraine’s Donetsk and Dnipropetrovsk regions, it is a strategic target for Moscow.

Its fall to Russian forces would mark the largest setback for Ukraine in months and compound Ukraine’s struggles to get off the backfoot while Russian troops pile severe pressure on the eastern front lines.

Losing it would also add to the anxiety Ukraine’s military faces over the looming Donald Trump presidency in the United States, which has raised the risk that military aid from Kyiv’s largest source could dry up as the grinding conflict approaches its fourth year.

Elsewhere in the war, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said Saturday that Moscow’s forces had begun to deploy a “significant” number of North Korean soldiers in its effort to drive Ukraine’s army out of Russia’s Kursk region.

Ukraine launched an incursion into Kursk in August and still retains some settlements there.

“Today, there is already preliminary evidence that the Russians have begun to use soldiers from North Korea in assaults – a significant number of them,” Zelensky said.

“The Russians include them in combined units and use them in operations in the Kursk region,” Zelensky said, adding there had already been “noticeable” losses among these soldiers.

He added that Ukraine had information that North Korean soldiers may be being used along other parts of the front line.

This post appeared first on cnn.com

0
FacebookTwitterGoogle +Pinterest
previous post
How Italy’s PM Meloni could bridge the gap between Trump and Europe
next post
California couple killed while on holiday in Mexico

You may also like

American academic faces years in jail after being...

April 8, 2025

Hezbollah fires rockets into Israel as threat of...

August 12, 2024

Guatemalan and Salvadorian forces arrive in Haiti to...

January 4, 2025

Dalai Lama says his successor will be born...

March 11, 2025

Myanmar’s deadly earthquake exposes void left by US...

April 11, 2025

US sends land-attack missile system to Philippines for...

April 22, 2024

Israeli forces kill 15-year-old Palestinian boy after settlers...

June 27, 2025

South Korea president declares emergency martial law

December 3, 2024

Russian transgender politician reverses decision to detransition, saying...

July 25, 2024

Spain and Portugal hit by major power outage,...

April 28, 2025

    Stay updated with the latest news, exclusive offers, and special promotions. Sign up now and be the first to know! As a member, you'll receive curated content, insider tips, and invitations to exclusive events. Don't miss out on being part of something special.


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Popular

    • 1

      Hong Kong plans to install thousands of surveillance cameras. Critics say it’s...

    • 2

      UN experts urge Thailand not to deport dozens of Uyghurs to China where they face ‘real risk of torture’

    • 3

      Trump has assembled a team of China hawks. How will Beijing respond?

    • 4

      China executes man who plowed car into crowds in deadliest attack in a decade

    • 5

      How Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger got caught in Trump’s trade war with China

    Categories

    • Business (1,386)
    • Investing (4,631)
    • Science (605)
    • World (3,677)
    Footer Logo

    Disclaimer: dailywashingtoninsider.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2024 dailywashingtoninsider.com | All Rights Reserved